Ancient Presence, Modern Projection: Torcello - Venice, Italy
Milestone Architecture’s Exhibition, time to coincide with the 2014 Venice Architecture Biennale, "Ancient Presence, Modern Projection: Torcello - Venice, Italy" immerses the visitor in a contemporary experience of Torcello’s cultural legacy and its 21st century environment in the northern Adriatic Sea. This user-centered exhibition utilizes progressive technology to create a global bridge between Torcello, Venice, and New York.
The Biennale’s theme in 2014 emphasizes fundamental architectural elements as a creative continuity across time and space. In keeping with this theme, "Ancient Presence, Modern Projection: Torcello - Venice, Italy" interprets Torcello’s ancient structures through the installations, where physical objects, light projections, and interactive software engage the viewer. Key motifs in Milestone's project design focus on the door, the wall, the floor, and the surrounding environment as starting points. By dematerializing and reconstructing this place of spiritual contemplation, the exhibitions translate its ancient presence through modern media for contemporary viewers.
Conceived as a participatory exhibition, live feeds connect Torcello with the installations in New York and Venice. Creative deployment of digital media – as a transparent construction material and live-streaming medium – invokes themes of modernist architecture while using technology to bring the viewer close-up. Notably, the exhibition and its website adapt cutting-edge techniques of Human-Centered Design to the project. Tools of visual, haptic and aural presentation permit points of entry for persons with differing abilities, so that any visitor may gain access to the Basilica and partake in its spirit through a prism of modalities.
PROJECT MOMENTUM, 2014 – ONGOING
Milestone is currently engaged in an international restoration initiative at Torcello. Priorities reflect broad trends in the field of architectural restoration, such as balancing function and aesthetics while applying scientific innovation and new material technologies toward low-impact interventions. Milestone’s initiative strives for a holistic perspective on the island’s present realities, drawing attention to the special marine environment of the Venetian lagoon, which has played a critical role in phases of island population and depopulation while also impacting Torcello’s sacred structures. This pastoral island, once densely populated, is now home to only a small population of native Torcellani; yet each year it hosts thousands of tourists who come to visit its precious architectural legacy.
How can you help?
Your generous donations to "Ancient Presence, Modern Projection: Torcello - Venice, Italy" – along with those of our magnanimous sponsors – will support the Torcello, Venice, and New York exhibitions. Their goal is to promote a global effort toward the sustainable future for the people, architecture, and history of the island of Torcello.
Milestone invites donors to help in two broad categories:
Underwrite the 2014 Venice Biennale exhibitions in Italy and New York
Pioneer an Endowment for Torcello’s Restoration in 2014 - Ongoing
I. EXHIBITION ELEMENTS
I.a PHYSICAL AND VIRTUAL IMPLEMENTATION:
Fundraising Goal: $100,000
- manufacture of Glass Capitals (Italian installations)
- manufacture of 3D Printed Capitals (New York installations)
- implementation of Projections / Live Feed
I.b ACCESSIBILITY IMPLEMENTATION
Fundraising Goal: $100,000
- website accessibility
- Braille, in any exhibit labels/captions and in catalogue
- large, easily-legible font in any exhibit labels / captions and in catalogue
- portable tactile maps
- static tactile “2.5D” / bas-relief maps, in the gallery
- physical 3D models
- virtual 3D models
- audio-assisted videos and text subtitles
- CD and QR-code with audio description of exhibition, to be distributed with catalogue
- audio files will be available on our website as .mp3 files
- exhibition texts will be available on our website as .txt, .rtf and .pdf files
- development of an audio book / accessible e-book
II. PIONEERING SUPPORT FOR TORCELLO RESTORATION 2014 - 2015
Milestone recognizes that contributions to the restoration are visionary.
Please contact Milestone Architecture PLLC for further discussion.
WE THANK OUR DONORS!
- Patriarcato di Venezia
- IHCD – Institute for Human Centered Design
- EIDD – Design for All Europe
- DfA Italia – Design for All Italia
- The Cooper Union Alumni Association
- Antichità Arredi d'Arte
- Baby Volcano Films – Aaron Schillinger, Joeseph Flinders, Isabel Sandoval
- Dominigo Gonzalez Associates
- Dimauroeoppici Studio
- Duggal Visual Solutions
- Fractured Atlas
- Graphic Design Assistance – Carol Wolf
- Sansovino Restauri S.N.C.
- MileStone Team Donors
- Milestone Collaborative Donors